New Research Gives Insight Into Insider Threats
You read about a new data breach almost every day . . .
- Employee arrested in connection with Sage data breach
- An attacker stole a vendor’s credentials in order to break into Home Depot’s network, exposing 56 million credit card numbers
These highly-publicized insider data thefts and security breaches highlight the increasing need for better security practices and solutions to reduce the risks posed by malicious insiders as well as unintentional insiders. In fact, the 2016 Insider Threat Spotlight Report found that 74% of organizations feel vulnerable to insider threats, but only 42% feel that they have controls in place to prevent insider breaches.
As enterprises move business-critical data and applications to the cloud, IT professionals are more concerned about security in the cloud. The report found that 43% of respondents consider cloud applications and infrastructure to be most vulnerable to insider attacks.
Cloud access security brokers (CASBs) have emerged as a critical control point for the secure and compliant use of cloud services across multiple cloud providers. Many CASBs include features that address concerns outlined in the 2016 report, including:
- 60% feel that privileged IT users, such as administrators with access to sensitive information, pose the biggest insider threat because they have credentialed access to the network and services. This can be mitigated by using a CASB to monitor, detect, and prevent configuration drift. Palerra LORIC can automatically reset configurations back to baseline if an administrator attempts to modify privileges.
- Only 23% currently use User Behavior Analytics (UBA) or predictive analytics to identify insider threats. CASBs can monitor user activity and provide a risk score to security personnel. Palerra LORIC uses machine learning to create a comprehensive user profile and flags anomalous behavior.
- 63% feel customer data is the most vulnerable to insider attacks. CASBs can protect the millions of Salesforce users that currently access and modify information in this SaaS application. Palerra LORIC currently protects one of largest Salesforce environments, with over 600,000 users.
The 2016 Insider Threat Spotlight Report was created by the Information Security Community on LinkedIn and sponsored by Palerra. Download the full report for more insight into the state of insider threats and solutions to prevent them.